Monday, April 23, 2012

What Teacher Do I Want To Become....


(Image from www.thechangeblog.com)

Ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted to be a teacher.  My life path changed due to unforeseen circumstances, but just like everyone who trusts in God’s plan my path was redirected and I am now back on track.  I am thankful for my husband’s continued support and belief in me, because we all know there have been times when I have just wanted to throw in the towel, and stay with the clerical route I am already on.  With all of this being said, I am so fortunate to have the continued support of my family, friends, and fellow educational leadership seeking classmates.  This faith and support have allowed me to become so excited about my future career.  With this excitement comes a deep, burning impatience, the impatience of wanting to be in my very own classroom, with my very own students.  This impatience has allowed me to realize I have finally figured out who I want to be, and where this want came from.  After having experienced 26 years of lessons learned, educational leaders who lifted me up, and educational leaders who at the time I thought pushed me down, I have finally found the educational leader I want to be.  I will take all the pieces of every teacher I have ever had and I will use the pieces to put my personal, educational leadership puzzle together. 

(Image from www.truevined.com)

When putting a puzzle together there are all types of pieces.  There are pieces that have an image on them and when you look at them you can immediately see the entire picture.  Then there are pieces that have filler images on them, and when you look at them you have no idea where they might fit or where they might go in the bigger picture.  All of my educational leaders have these qualities in them themselves.  For example, Mr. Rogers, my favorite teacher of all time is the first puzzle piece listed.  When I look at him I can see one of the smartest, quick-witted, very well put together, men I have ever met.  His image stands alone on a puzzle piece that fits very well into the educational leadership puzzle that has become who I want to become.  On the other hand, Mrs. Evans, my least favorite teacher is most definitely a filler puzzle piece.  I have no idea where her outlandish ways or religious principles fit into my puzzle, but I know that for some reason that piece belongs in my educational leadership puzzle as well. 

(Image from www.gcmeyers.com)

Now that I have painted the picture of an educational leadership puzzle for you, and what I believe mine consists of; I have decided that I want to be the best educational leader I can be.  Right now I have no idea what type of classroom I will be in, and I have no idea what type of school I will begin my journey in.  However, I do know from personal experience with my own teachers that I will not always be loved, I will not always be liked, but I will always be respected.  Mr. Rogers wasn’t always the most popular kid on the block, but he was always respected because he demanded it.  In demanding this respect, I grew to love the man because he was one of the greatest leaders I have ever had.  His educational influence is one that I will always look back on, and even on random Wednesdays there are times when I think about him, and wonder what he may be doing.  I can only hope to reach half of the students he has reached and to influence their lives in the same way I know he influenced mine and my classmates.  He had some way of making me want to be better, and to try harder.  I can only hope that I can make my student’s burn with that type of desire for learning.  I want to be the type of educator they can look back on and know that my classroom is where they became the student that wanted more, or the student that almost went down the wrong path, and that one reading/life lesson changed their outlook and they became the student on the right path.  I can only hope that they will remember me in a positive light, and that I will have given them every ounce of energy I have in the classroom, and because of this, their experience in my classroom will be etched in their mind.
(Image from www.sodahead.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment