Saturday, August 3, 2013

Oh how things change...and how they stay the same...

I am sitting here thinking about how this is my last Summer weekend and how my first day as a real TEACHER starts Monday.  Yes, it is just Professional Development/In-Service, but it will officially be the end of my Summer.  This got me thinking about what a friend said to me last night about how different your life can become in just one year...

She said she thought this would be a weekend where all of us were together celebrating.  We have a friend that is getting married this weekend, and unforeseen circumstances have altered our life paths and we won't all be together celebrating her nuptials. 

It makes you wonder....are your life choices always correct?  Are they always the best?  When I was a little girl I always wanted to be a teacher.  I always played teacher, and turned my bedroom into a classroom.  I had notebooks and posters and drawers full of "Teacher Stuff."  Then when I got older and in high school I changed from wanting to be a teacher to a  Crime Scene Investigator (Thank you television for that fad,) and then I wanted to be an event planner.  Troy didn't offer Event Planning per say as a degree so I settled on Broadcast Journalism.  I always loved being a part of the yearbook staff and the newsletter staff in high school; I guess I should have went with Print Journalism, but that's neither here nor there. 

For three years I worked at getting a job in Broadcasting, but I had no luck.  I didn't even get one bite.  So eventually, I became an Administrative Assistant at vonGAL where I made many memories and met my wonderful husband.  One night we were laying in bed and I was telling him how as a child I had always wanted to be a teacher, and that came to surface in my thoughts almost every day.  He said well you will never know unless you try, so lets try.  So we did.  And here I am 2 years and 8 months later with my Master's in Education, getting ready to explore the wild world of teaching.  Who knows?  In five years I may have had enough and want to become an astronaut or whatever you dream about doing after teaching, but for right now I couldn't be happier.  I couldn't be happier that a little over 2.5 years ago my husband gave me the nudge I needed to follow my dreams. 

So yes, things do change.  Like life plans, life goals, life friends, and even life partners.  But, there is one thing that will stay the same, and that is the need to follow your heart.  Yes, there will be people that tell you your life altering decisions are crazy, and sporadic, and stupid, these are the people you don't need.  Follow your heart, trust your gut and go with what feels right.  If I hadn't of done all of these things, I wouldn't be married to my wonderful husband, and I wouldn't be well on my way to my wonderful and exciting new career path.

Thanks for stopping by, and remember FOLLOW YOUR HEART!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment