Friday, November 30, 2012

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes...sometimes they are from under your very own roof...

Do you ever hear people telling a story, and you immediately think, there is no way that is a true story?  Then they just keep telling the story and you are like, this is such a lie, why do they keep making stuff up?  Well, the story I am about to tell you is one of these stories, but I promise from the bottom of my heart that it is 100% true, and it is one of those stories that I as a Step-Mother couldn't believe at first, but brought forth the greatest sense of pride I didn't even know was possible...

First, remember Tyler?  My middle step-baby?


















Close your eyes and imagine this scene for a minute....a regular high school classroom at PHS....

Now that you have a normal classroom in your mind, continue reading for a shock of a lifetime...the incident went something like this...

Tyler, my typical 16-year-old teenage step-baby is slumped down in his seat, trying to text some cute girl I am sure, and a conversation catches his attention...

(Fictional conversation made up by yours truly, so you can fully understand the intensity and danger of the situation.  Fake names have also been entered as well, except for Tyler's of course.)

Unknown Teenager #1:  "Hey dude, look what I got!"

Unknown Teenager #2:  "Dude, what is that?"

Unknown Teenager #1:  "What do you think it is?  It's a blade." (Tyler describes the blade as some sort of saw blade with a taped up, make shift handle.)

(Insert curiosity and bewilderment from Tyler here as he sits up and listens in.)

Unknown Teenager #2:  "Why do you have a blade at school?  You are gonna get in so much trouble if you get caught with that."

Unknown Teenager #1:  "You know that guy "Travis"?  He has been talking crap about me, and enough is enough.  I am going to stab him, and let him know that you can't just say what you want about folks and get away with it."

(This so named Travis (fake name) just so happens to be one of Tyler's BEST FRIENDS....so this really got his attention.  I can imagine, anger, fear, and adrenaline are now pumping through Tyler's body at immense rates.)

Imagine the below scene now...

Tyler gets up....acts like he is walking to the trash can....Unknown Teenager has no idea what is about to happen....

Tyler grabs him, throws the blade away from him  and pins him to the ground.  Tyler holds Unknown Teenager down until the teacher gets involved.  The police were called and Unknown Teenager was arrested.

Now come back to reality....I know it seems like I have made this story up, and there is no way it could have happened, but readers I promise you this, the look on my child's face last night as he was replaying this scene out for me was nothing but fear, pride, and excitement.  After my initial shock that my child was in a room with a blade holding, crazed teenager, I had a HUGE emotion come over me, and it was nothing but the emotion of PRIDE.  At the moment, Tyler wasn't thinking about himself at all, he wasn't thinking about the danger he had put himself in, and he definitely wasn't thinking about anything going wrong, all he was thinking about was protecting "Travis" and getting the blade from Unknown Teenager.

I am so thankful that Tyler survived this incident, and that nobody was hurt, I am also thankful that he now has a heroic tale to tell around the dinner table for years to come.  These incidents my friend are nothing to laugh about, but they are the moments that allow us as parents to see who our children are going to become as adults.  This moment showed me that my precious, beautiful, loving, care free, independent, step-baby, does have it in him to be the man that I and his father want him to be.  My heart swells with pride for Tyler.

On another note, it fills me with fear, because this crazy incident didn't happen in a prison cafeteria, or in a dark alley behind a bar, it happened in my child's classroom.  What is our world coming to?  Next time, Tyler or "Travis" might not be so lucky, and that has put the fear of God in my mind for my step-babies.  We as parents won't always be there to protect them, but as Tyler has shown with this incident, maybe we are doing our jobs right...

As always thanks for stopping by!




No comments:

Post a Comment